Monday, December 28, 2015

Goodbye, Parintins!

A panorama shot of the Church with the friends who came to say goodbye at Mass tonight!
          Today is my last day in this beautiful rustic city of Parintins.  Tomorrow I will be headed to the periphery of Manaus to my new destination: São Bento (St. Benedict) Parish in the area known as "Cidade Nova" (New City).
          I really loved my time here in Parintins.  I got to know the people so well: their hopes, their dreams, their challenges, their sadnesses, their difficulties, etc.  I got to journey with them pastorally and I, too, grew as not only a priest but also as a human being and a Christian Catholic.  I learned what a truly joyful Eucharistic celebration entails.  I learned what it means to get by with less of the "top edge" technology and endless shopping possibilities that the big cities offer... and I was happy!
          At all the masses this past weekend in the mother Church of the parish as well as the four smaller churches I announced that I was being assigned to our parish in Manaus and that I would be leaving within just a few days.  It was very emotional for me, as it was for them, too.  You see, although I LOVE being a missionary, THIS is the part I don't like: become attached to a community and then having to leave.  But I know that God has always led me were I needed to be when I needed to be there, so how could I NOT trust in him this time?
Deacon Joao gave me a blessing in the name of the parish...
          Then, this evening, I celebrated my last Mass as a member of the São Jose Parish Pastoral team.  There were so many "thank you" speeches from each of the communities, so many special songs they sang for me, and so many special moments!  I was quite overwhelmed and touched!
With two of my elderly lady friends after Mass...
           It's no secret that my hope had been to continue on in Parintins and go on to become the pastor of this great community.  It reminds me so much of the communities which I knew in Cuanacaxtitlan, Mexico... as well as in Detroit!  For the past three months I had been telling every PIME priest that this was my desire... but also saying very clearly that I was putting NO conditions and that I was definitely NOT going to turn that desire into a battle.
With a couple of the youth after Mass...
          After Mass there was a dinner reception held in my honor.  I was truly surprised and felt quite blessed.  It was hard to say goodbye to everyone, but they all understood that sometimes God has plans that we don't understand!
          You know, the love and affection that the people showed me this evening was quite humbling.  I need to say that the support of the good people of Parintins was more than I ever expected; we just "clicked" somehow!  And with them I grew to love even more this missionary vocation that I have received.  You just give of yourself what you are able, you promise to journey WITH the people, you ask the Holy Spirit to be present... and great things happen!  Very humbling.
          I was ordained in June of 1998, and I had many of the same emotions and feelings that I remembered feeling all those years ago during my first Mass... and then again as I was leaving All Saints.  Special emotions and special moments which I'll never forget... and which - all things considered - make me love being a missionary!
          God is good, all the time!!!

4 comments:

  1. En cada lugar donde usted dure mas de un dia siempre dejara un gra vacio y lagrimas en los rostros de quienes lo conocen, por su gran carisma y su enorme fe!! Saludos Padre! Y buena suerte en su nueva aventura!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. เลเซอร์หน้าใส เป็นอีกหนึ่งสิ่งใหม่ทางความงดงามที่ช่วยฟื้นฟูผิวหนังที่แห้งด้าน บริเวณใบหน้าหมองคล้ำให้กลับมาแจ่มใสมองเบิกบานใจ สดใสภายในช่วงเวลาอันรวดเร็วทันใจ นับว่าเป็นทางลัดความสวยงามที่กำลังเป็นที่นิยมสูง ช่วยรับใช้ผิวให้ขาวกระจ่างขาวสวยใส จากการลดลางเลือนริ้วรอยจุดด่างดำได้อย่างมีคุณภาพ


    มาเด้
    มาเด้ หน้าใส
    ฉีดมาเด้ ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete